div#ContactForm1 { display: none !important; }

Thursday 2 January 2014

Top Reads of 2013

   It would appear I only read 17 books in 2013 - less than normal. Perhaps it was just due to the fact that it was not a great year all round for me, and certainly some of my choices of books reflected my state of mind. But it was also some of these books which kind of 'got me through.' My top 3 reads therefore were:


The Silver Linings Playbook

I read this book in one day. I had taken some 'time out' and this seemed the perfect book to accompany me. Pat was such a great character and I felt for him! Made me re-evaluate a few things in my own life. I loved this book- and thankfully read it before seeing the film - which didn't quite live up to the book for me.


My Alien Self: My Journey Back to Me

Amanda Green's memoirs of how she experienced her life whilst suffering from depression, and a host of mental health conditions that threatened to derail her life, was the one book that began to help me identify my own issues. Sadly, days after finishing this book and feeling in a better place, my Dad died. 



Into the Darkest Corner, by Elizabeth Haynes

This book had been sitting at my bedside awaiting my attention for a few months. It was apt that I picked it up at the point I did. This story made me brave - and somehow I managed to make changes that had been long overdue. 
It's amazing how books can change your life.

My best Indie read of 2013 was Genome, by Gary Henson


This wasn't the genre of book I would usually pick up. But I really enjoyed it - see  my review here




So, to 2014. I am setting myself the goal of reading at least 20 books. I wonder what my theme will be this year...

I'm hoping for a lot of positivity!

What were your best reads?

No comments:

Post a Comment